Valtakunnallisen humanistisen verkko-opetuksen tarjoamat verkkokurssit
19th Century Europe: A Cultural History
Through the study of primary and secondary course material the course will survey the rich and diverse culture of the nineteenth century Europe. Exploring the challenges of the fastly changing society and the development of culture, the course will examine how people in different parts of Europe experienced the world around them.
The aims of the course are to
* examine how Europe developed against the backdrop of industrial development and the emergence of mass society in the nineteenth century.
* Explore the interaction of the industrial and cultural change
* To understand the ways in which Europeans made sense of their cultural similarities and differences.
* To gain knowledge of the specific cultural traditions which developed in music, literature and philosophy during the period.
* To understand the relationship of popular culture and daily life in the context of changing ideologies.